Since 1974, Opera New Hampshire has offered a children’s program. The mission of this program is to provide a cultural and educational opportunity to New Hampshire school-aged children, at no cost to them or their schools. The goals of the program are to:
• Expose children to opera, an art form that is often under-emphasized in school curricula.
• Demonstrate the interaction of vocal and instrumental music, storytelling, acting, dance, language arts, and other educational subjects within the context
• Provide children with an opportunity to see and hear live opera.
• Encourage children to participate in operas.
The ONH Children’s Opera Program reaches thousands of young people each year. The program includes public school children from all economic and ethnic backgrounds, all levels of ability, as well as those challenged by special needs. Children who are being home-schooled and those who attend private and parochial schools are invited to participate in our programs. The number of children we service each year is contingent on our ability to raise the funds necessary to pay for the programs, thus the generosity of patrons and donors is not only appreciated, but essential to its continuation.
Benefits of Opera Education for Children
In her book, “The Mozart Effect,” psychologist Frances Rauscher “presented research connecting participation in music with improved reasoning and cognitive skills, as well as academic performance. More research has followed, pointing to music as a way to connect the two hemispheres of the brain and complement learning in everything from science to literature.”
-The Boston Globe, 10/24/99
Bravo! The Film and Arts Network says that arts education
• Promotes self esteem.
• Promotes creative thinking and problem solving.
• Encourages creativity and self-expression
• Encourages divergent thinking.
• Promotes transfer of learning across academic disciplines.
• Fosters communication skills.
• Develops appreciation for artistic work.
• Promotes analytical thinking.
• Helps to convey ideas and emotions.
• Helps develop workplace skills necessary for future use
Pictures are from the 2008 In-School Presentation of Humperdinck’s “Hansel and Gretel” performed by Lakes Region Opera.
NEW! Student Back Stage Tour – Don Giovanni Pre Opera Event